Yeast substitute question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duck911

Reaction score
Hi all,

I found a clone recipe for Blue Boar Irish Pale Ale, a beer I drank for years. The beer has been discontinued in Colorado but this clone is very close.

The AHB recipe calls for WLP004 (Irish Ale yeast), Wyeast 1084 (Irish Ale) or Munton's Gold.

I have heard horrible things about Muntons. I'd use the liquid stuff but it is not very available locally and shipped yeast tends to die before it makes it to my door.

I suspect that in this clone the irish ale yeast really makes a difference in the overall flavor profile. Other than these 3 yeasts, does anyone have a dry yeast they can think of that would work?

Think Safeale US-05 would get me somewhat close?

thanks,

--Duck911

Why do you think yeast dies before it makes it to you?

It takes quite a bit to kill off ALL the cells in a pack/vial.

Do you make starters? If not you should and I'm pretty sure you will find your yeast is perfectly fine!

Www.yeastcalc.com will calculate your starter for you, Cheers!

+1 to get some liquid. I'll bet you two batches of homebrew your yeast isn't dead when it arrives. I get liquid yeast shipped in the dead of summer with no cooling and make some very tasty beers.

I appreciate the feedback...

I based my assumption of dead yeast on the following:

1) Smack the Wyeast pack, nothing happens
2) Make starter with dead smack pack... nothing happens

Both were delivered during Colorado's record breaking heatwave, and probably sat for a few days in 100+ temps. I never have any problems with locally purchased liquid yeast.

If the pack won't swell, and I can't even make a starter from it, I'm calling it DOA and not adding it to me beer.

Anyhow, back to the original question - any ideas for a substitute? I prefer dry yeasts.

thanks,

--Duck911

Back