yeast still going!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petrostar

Reaction score
I brewed last Sunday, a dales pale ale clone. This was my first time using my glass 6.5g carboy. Brew day went off without a hitch. Had prepared a wlp001 California ale yeast starter 3 days prior. Pitched my yeast and within 8 hours it was going crazy! Looked like a hurricane in there, very cool. Main concern now is that I'm still getting a bubble about every 5-7 seconds. Should I be concernrd? I have brewed bigger beers than this before and they usually finish off in the primary quicker. Thanks for the help, I haven't bothered taking a refractometer or hydrometer test yet either.

Not unusual at all. Let it ride for a few weeks, then do your hydro test and enjoy the beer :) And don't count bubbles - Revvy will get mad at you, and they really aren't a very good indicator of whether or not a fermentation is complete or not, especially if you ferment in a bucket.

What temp are you fermenting at?

I have a pacman IPA that has been just under 60degF for two weeks and it is still bubbling away. I checked the gravity today and it has gone from 1.068 to 1.020 - it should continue to drop to 1.016ish. The sample was delicious! I think I am going to give it a swirl and bump it up to 65degF for another week-ish.

I'm fermentimg between 65-70. It's the most reliable temp spot in my house. Roger on the bubble counting...lol

I love Dale's. I've tried a couple of clone recipes without any luck. I've got my own best guess recipe fermenting now so we shall see. But, assuming I guessed wrong, what recipe did you follow?

From a forum on this site, it has two recipes on it. I tried the first recipe. Which did you try?

One of the cool things about a glass carboy is that you can see all that is going on in there. What I do is go by the way it looks. I wait all the way until the surface of the beer has dropped out all of the yeast and looks clear. Even when it's not bubbling the yeast are still working. Give it a while to finish and then give it a while longer. Don't rush a good thing. -happy brews

Where do you guys get the patience to wait? My kegs never last that long...

Not gonna' lie - once my IPA ferments for three weeks, hits the keg and is carbed for a week I "taste" it every night. I try to brew hard for a few weeks to fill the pipeline. Once I have enough - then if I brew one a month I am "in beer." I'm currently making the switch to 10g batches - which should make it easier to accomplish.

From a forum on this site, it has two recipes on it. I tried the first recipe. Which did you try?

I made the first one on that thread as well. It was too sweet for a Dale's clone but I had to use DME in addition to the 2 row so that could be part of the reason. Let me know how yours turns out. I don't usually try to clone other beers but Dale's is my favorite.

Where do you guys get the patience to wait? My kegs never last that long...

That's where having a stockpile of kegs comes into play. If you can have double the number of kegs as you can serve at once plus one or two extra, you can keep ahead of your consumption.

I can currently serve two kegs at once (although a chest freezer conversion is in my future) and I have six kegs. I like to keep both serving slots filed as well as two or three kegs conditioning and carbonating at the same time. I probably go through a keg a week and I brew a batch a week so I stay pretty well ahead of the game.
:mug:

I have four kegs and one tap so far. Only brewing 5 gallon batches right now though. Hmmm, my red bull cooler fits four kegs, can't wait to fill that up.

Back