Yeast Starters & Blow off Tubes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZVNJ

Reaction score
I'm a new grain brewer and have had slow starts on previous fermentation's, so this time i made a starter. I got a stir plate and let it stir for 2 days with a white labs strain that was close to the expiration date. Once i pitched the yeast on a 90 minute ipa (68deg) it took nearly 2 days to see the air lock bubbling. Once it started it was working vigorously.

On the 3rd day i noticed it had boiled over so to speak, so i prepared another air lock to get clean water in there. When i grabbed ahold of it, it popped out like a champagne bottle! and preceded to spew wort all over like a giser!

So now i have a blow off tube on there, and it is still constantly bubbling. I never had a need for one on previous batch's,

Do you guys typically use them on every batch?

If you are pitching the appropriate cell count of healthy yeast cells and properly aerating/oxygenating your wort then a blowoff tube should be used on every batch.

FWIW a 48 hour lag time, especially at 68 Dg, is longer than it should be.

I'd examine your process if I were you, there is likely something you can be doing better as to the two points above.

I'll go against the grain here and admit that I almost never use a blowoff tube. In my experience, if you keep your temperatures in the mid-to-low end of the yeast's ideal range, it rarely threatens the airlock. Exceptions have been higher gravity ales, but I don't often make those.

I though so too. On my next batch I will be using an oxygen stone...

If you are pitching the appropriate cell count of healthy yeast cells and properly aerating/oxygenating your wort then a blowoff tube should be used on every batch.

FWIW a 48 hour lag time, especially at 68 Dg, is longer than it should be.

I'd examine your process if I were you, there is likely something you can be doing better as to the two points above.

I'll go against the grain here and admit that I almost never use a blowoff tube. In my experience, if you keep your temperatures in the mid-to-low end of the yeast's ideal range, it rarely threatens the airlock. Exceptions have been higher gravity ales, but I don't often make those.

There is truth in this statement.

I tend to start my ferments low, and keep them there for a day or so, then start to ramp up to the middle part of the range.

I always use one, but that doesn't mean I always get a blow off.

I should also mention that I push the limits of my BB and ferment 5.5 gallons in a 6 gallon vessel.

OP, another thing I would look at is viability rate. When you first start using the yeast calculators it's somewhat easy to overlook viability(based on production date) and it can have a dramatic affect on the amount of cells you are pitching.

I always use a blow off tube the first few days, just in case. Then I change to an airlock. Once you've had a blow-off, you will not want another one!

Exactly. Even with weizen yeast, I've found this to be true. I was amazed by the lack of krausen when I started fermenting 3068 at 62 instead of 68. At 68, I always needed a blowoff. At 62 - never.

You mean the difference between 62 and 68 for weizen yeast?

You'll get less banana and more clove by fermenting cooler.

Back