yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am repeatedly seeing people mention making a starter with their yeast before brewing. How is this done? I'm assuming the benefit is an almost immediate start to fermentation when you pitch. Anything else? Do you make a starter for all yeasts or just dry yeasts. hmmm, curiouser and curiouser.

fishmonkeystew said:
Do you make a starter for all yeasts or just dry yeasts. hmmm, curiouser and curiouser.

Dry yeast only need to be hydrated. Just boil about 1-2 cups water, cool to around <100F then carefully sprinkle dry yeast on top and let sit for 5 minutes. Then gently whisk in yeast with a sanitized fork or wire whisk (you just want to get them wet). Let sit another 15-20 minutes then pitch into 70-75F wort.
Alot of people use 2 pkgs. of dry yeast cuz they are so cheap (the yeast that is).
you dont need a starter because their is already a good amount of yeast present, you just need to rehydrate them.

Once you've used a yeast starter, you'll wonder why you ever brewed without one. The advantages far outweigh the small amount of extra planning and time. You'll get cleaner, quicker fermenting, less chance of any nasties getting into your brew, etc etc.

Northern Brewer sells a great yeast starter kit. I'd recommend buying the kit with the 2000ml Erlenmeyer flask. Comes with easy to follow instructions. It's great.

BREW ON:mug:

Latest posts

Back