Yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwil123

Reaction score
I'm making a 10 gal batch Of my ipa soon and have 2 packs of 1056 american ale and was thinking of just using one pack and making a starter and saving the other one. Thoughts? I do have a stir Plate also

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Home Brew mobile app

You might go to www.mrmalty.com, click on the yeast tools, then yeast pitching rate calculator. Enter the numbers on your beer (volume, original gravity) and it will tell you how much yeast you need to pitch. Two packets for a ten gallon IPA might not be enough, even if you pitched both packets, depending on the original gravity.

If you've got the stir plate and the time, I'd go ahead and make a starter.

Thanks that helped out a lot. 2 packs with a starter will work it says sg 1.060

Anyone ever have trouble with a stir plate? I made a starter last night and when I woke up the magnet had slipped to the side of the growler and stopped mixing

Happens all the time. My personal theory is it primarily happens when the bar is spinning too fast. I try to find the lowest setting that creates a whirlpool and generally dont have this problem. YMMV

Dave

Back