yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avm221

Reaction score
So I was going make a yeast starter but how much DME to water should I use?

A good rule of thumb is a 10:1 ratio, so for a 1 liter starter you'll want to use 100 grams of DME. Using metric for these makes it a ton easier.

I dont think need a that much what about 1pt of water/DME??

I go for a starting gravity of my starter of between 1.03 and 1.04, depending on the style/time of starter/starter steps required. I almost always make it 1.04 and using this I have had my wort fermentation kick off within an hour!

I did I 1pt starter most likly ill go 2x thst next time. But it worked out. Im thinking about harvesting yeast from a starter to save, could that work?

avm221 said:
I did I 1pt starter most likly ill go 2x thst next time. But it worked out. Im thinking about harvesting yeast from a starter to save, could that work?

Yes, I do it all the time. There are a bunch of posts on this.

bdkelly said:
A good rule of thumb is a 10:1 ratio, so for a 1 liter starter you'll want to use 100 grams of DME. Using metric for these makes it a ton easier.

+1
Slainte

I saw a,lot of posts of yeast washing but ill look again for large starter

Latest posts

Back