Yeast starter...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Afhuff01

Reaction score
I made a yeast starter last night to prep for brewing today. Well one thing led to another and I won't be able to brew til probably Monday. How long will the yeast starter last for?

Right now it's been going with out an airlock. Should I just put an airlock on it and let it settle until I can brew on Monday?

Put foil on top and leave it in fridge , I've used starters after one week without problems.
Good thing is that you will be able to decant liquid from top of starter, and also yeast will have enough time to build their glycogen reserves.

diS said:
Put foil on top and leave it in fridge , I've used starters after one week without problems.
Good thing is that you will be able to decant liquid from top of starter, and also yeast will have enough time to build their glycogen reserves.

+1 I regular wait 3-4 days because I use a stir plate and therefore have to decant.

tele_powder said:
+1 I regular wait 3-4 days because I use a stir plate and therefore have to decant.

Thanks for the replies. I usually use my yeast starter the next day, and this is the first time that I was supposed to brew and it got out on hold. It's sitting in the fridge right now. I'll pull it out when I start brewing and let it warm, and then decant.

I generally wait 3 days before using my yeast, and ID figure that with the tinfooil it will probably be good for a week+

It is protected from the outside world via the beer floating over the yeast, and the tin will keep insects from getting in, and it will give time for all the yeast to floculate to the bottom so you have the maximum cell count.

You should be fine, just remember to drain the liquid before pitching the yeast and your golden ^_^

If you have a bit, step it up with another dose of DME after you decant. Sounds like a good excuse (the delay) to learn something!

241 said:
If you have a bit, step it up with another dose of DME after you decant. Sounds like a good excuse (the delay) to learn something!

If I give it another dose, I am basically getting even more yeast? Is to much yeast a bad thing in a 5 gallon batch?

If I give it another dose, I am basically getting even more yeast? Is to much yeast a bad thing in a 5 gallon batch?

You won't make too much yeast with just 2 steps...foil or a stopper is best when chilling since to cooling air will tend to suck the water from an airlock.

^ this. And watch them go gangbusters when you pitch them into your next batch

Latest posts

Back