Yeast Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bechbd

Reaction score
I am about to make an IIPA for the first time and I was reading that I should make a yeast starter in order to do this. The question I have is how do I go about doing this? So far I've read 3 different posts and received 3 different awnsers.

bechbd said:
I am about to make an IIPA for the first time and I was reading that I should make a yeast starter in order to do this. The question I have is how do I go about doing this? So far I've read 3 different posts and received 3 different awnsers.

You should make up about 1/2 gallon (2 liters) of a simple wort with a gravity between 1.035 and 1.040. Boil this for a bit to kill any nasties. Cool the wort to pitching temperature. Put this into a large sanitized jar, put the lid on it and shake the crap out of it to get air back into the wort. Pitch the yeast and let it sit for 2-3 days. Do this somewhere that you will walk past it several times a day. Every time you go by, stop and give it a shake to get the yeast back into suspension.

After 2-3 days stick the starter in the fridge. After a day or so, the yeast will sink to the bottom. Pour off most of the clear liquid. When you are ready to pitch, give your starter slurry another shake and pitch into your wort.

For more detailed info, check out www.howtobrew.com .

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company

Latest posts

Back