Yeast Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saxmk6

Reaction score
Ok, I am brewing a big heavy IPA. I have always used a starter for my bigger beers. I have also only made starters with whitlabs or wyeast. I am going to use a dry yeast this time, and as I have never made a starter with dry yeast, is it the same process? Or even necessary for that matter?

Thanks for your thoughts. ;)

No need to make a starter with dry yeast. I've actually heard people say that making a starter with dry yeast is detrimental (the drying process builds up reserves within the yeast that get used up in the starter rather than your beer). Plus, you'd probably spend less money on a second packet of yeast than you would on the DME to make your starter! Depending on how high your OG is you might want to grab a second packet, but I wouldn't mess with the starter.

+1 Just spend the money and pitch a second packet if necessary. I'm sure you'll properly re-hydrate the dry yeast : )

Thats kind of what I thought. Thanks for the input. I actually have to packets of yeast, but I was not sure if I should make a starter with it or just hydrate both packets. I'll just do that. Thanks again. Happy brewing.

This is what I love about dry yeast. If I don't have time for a starter, I can just rehydrate 2 packets and it's still cheaper than 1 vial of liquid yeast. Although I think I get better results with the liquid stuff.

Always have a packet or two of dry yeast in stock in your brewery. Just in case.

Take a look at mrmalty.com. It has a function that will tell you how many grams of dry yeast you need based on your OG. You can rehydrate that amount and then pitch into the wort.

Back