Yeast Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saxmk6

Reaction score
Ok,....So I did a yeast starter Sunday night with the anticipation of brewing Wednesday. My yeast starter did not start, and I am not sure why. Temprature is steady, I think it was mixed well, good ariation (I think) but I am not totally sure why it didnt start.

I dont have a stir plate, so does anyone have a suggestion to get this yeast starter started?????

I appreciate any feedback.....

How do you know your yeast didn't start? Do you have a layer of yeast at the bottom? If so, then you're good to go.

Most starters in my experience don't make a krausen or anything, so you can't really use that as an indicator.

I don't get how the yeast in the bottom is an indication of success. That could be the original yeast from your vial/smackpack, couldn't it. I used a smackpack of the Wyeast Northwest, and never saw any signs of life. Despite the pack swelling, no foam...no bubbles...no nothing. That was 1/2 cup DME to 2 cups of water.

I put it in the fridge last night. Tonight I will decant, and do 1 cup DME to 1 qt of water. I still won't know if it worked unless there is SOME sign of activity.

Maybe the layer of yeast at the bottom while noticeably grow, but I doubt it.

Did you take a gravity reading? That would be your for sure sign, but a thick layer of yeast is most likely going to come from yeast growth in the starter.

Every time I make a starter I get a large accumulation of yeast in my growler, way more than I started with. If you just pitched a pack into your vessel you probably wouldn't see that big of a layer in the bottom.

Did you take a gravity reading? That would be your for sure sign, but a thick layer of yeast is most likely going to come from yeast growth in the starter.

Every time I make a starter I get a large accumulation of yeast in my growler, way more than I started with. If you just pitched a pack into your vessel you probably wouldn't see that big of a layer in the bottom.

Sounds good. I'll take your word for it. I heard it was hard to tell by SG with a starter, so I didn't bother. I will measure gravity from here on out, as I plan on stepping up the size of my starter, and pitch at least 2 liters when I brew a batch of Caribou Slobber.

Why not taste the wort? Is it still sickly sweet? If yes, your starter isn't working very hard.

I did the same thing with my starter this last week - no action on some washed yeast over 24 hours. Tasted the wort, it was sweet. So I tossed in another washed yeast can I had. about 6 hours later it was foaming.

Could have been a lot of things (too cool, stunned yeast etc.), But one thing I knew it was not doing for me was reproducing for my 10 gallon batch on Sunday...

Why not taste the wort? Is it still sickly sweet? If yes, your starter isn't working very hard.

I did the same thing with my starter this last week - no action on some washed yeast over 24 hours. Tasted the wort, it was sweet. So I tossed in another washed yeast can I had. about 6 hours later it was foaming.

Could have been a lot of things (too cool, stunned yeast etc.), But one thing I knew it was not doing for me was reproducing for my 10 gallon batch on Sunday...

Another good idea.

Well, I boild the water along with the the dry extract. I used whitelabs american ale yeast. I dropped the temp down to 72, and pitched my yeast. I gave the flask several shakes and let it sit. I was told to give it a swirl every time I walk by it because I dont have a stir plate. I have been doing it, and i have had absolutely no activity whatsoever. I have not tasted the wort, nor did I think to take a gravity reading. I have a small amount of yeast at the bottom of the flask, but absolutely no more than I started.

Thanks for the help, I am not sure what to try, but I think my pre-planned brew day tomorrow is out.....too bad......Perhaps the weekend...

Well, I boild the water along with the the dry extract. I used whitelabs american ale yeast. I dropped the temp down to 72, and pitched my yeast. I gave the flask several shakes and let it sit. I was told to give it a swirl every time I walk by it because I dont have a stir plate. I have been doing it, and i have had absolutely no activity whatsoever. I have not tasted the wort, nor did I think to take a gravity reading. I have a small amount of yeast at the bottom of the flask, but absolutely no more than I started.

Thanks for the help, I am not sure what to try, but I think my pre-planned brew day tomorrow is out.....too bad......Perhaps the weekend...

Do what I'm going to do. Cool the starter, decant the liquid. Boil a larger amount of wort, and pitch it on tge slurry.

Worst case, you waste some more DME. Also, why not taste it? If I were home, I would taste mine.

I rarely see activity in my starters. Due to the small amount of wort, starters are notorious for not being very active. It sounds like you did everything right and my guess is your probably ok. If you see a lot more yeast on the bottom of the flask than what you pitched then your good to go.

Back