Yeast Starter.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdamCharles

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm on my third batch of home brew, a Belgian Strong Ale with an OG of 1.077 and projected TG of 1.017. I'm aiming for around 7% abv in the end here. My question is this!:

I'm only using a fermenting bucket with no oxygenation capabilities and the guy at the local brew store said that this was on the high end of alcohol content that I could achieve without such a system. He sold me 2 Wyeast smack packets and said that the extra yeast would help. He also said to make a starter with the yeast. I am using a syrup malt extract and everything I've read about making yeast starters uses powdered extract what can I do to make a yeast starter, and if I am already using double the yeast is a starter even neccessary? I would love for you all to say that I don't need to make another trip to the store to get more malt extract, but what has to be done has to be done.

Thanks in advance,
Adam

You are probably fine. I wouldn't worry about it. In the future, you should make a yeast starter. It is easy and a lot cheaper than buying double the yeast.

You can make starters with liquid extract, just use 15-20% more than you would with dry.

With 2 healthy packs you should be fine and might as well use them. In the future, making a starter with only one pack will give you more yeast than direct pitching two, and it's cheaper. You just have to plan ahead a day or two.

If you're topping off, use bottled water from the store and shake the jugs well before pouring, it helps with oxygenation of your wort.

Back