Yeast Starter with Candi

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MisterShah

Reaction score
Hello all, I just made the transition to all grain and bought no DME as a result. I realized that I needed to make a starter and with no DME I decided to use some Belgium candi. After reading around I am finding this isn't a good procedure as the yeast needs to get started using maltose not fructose. Question is are the yeasties going to be pitchable after this? Can I expect a lag time or any other undesirable results?

You might not get the FG you wanted in theory, as the yeast may become adapted to eating simple sugars and thus not be interested in some of the more complex malt sugars. I wouldn't have wasted candi on a starter, its too expensive. In the future you could use Malta if you can find it, or you could just real quickly BIAB yourself a starter.

I haven't seen a thread where anyone did a side by side with the starters though, and I haven't done it myself so I can't say this as gospel. It may be one of those things that doesn't make a difference for generations.

I don't see that it would hurt. You don't need to wash it, just crash the starter, decant and add the new wort

you can brew a big batch of wort from an all grain batch to use as starters. You can then can the wort and use it for a long time.

Thanks guys. Good idea with having spare wort around, I am going to give that a try.

Hindsight is 20/20 I guess :cross:

Back