Yeast starter with an immersion circulator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexasGuy

Reaction score
I am doing my first yeast starter this weekend. I need to increase my start count to compensate for a 1.08 OG. Would it be detrimental to the yeast if I maintained my temperature and aeration with an immersion circulator?

Interesting, and haven't seen this asked before.
I'm not a sous vide fan which such devices seem attuned to, but assuming it doesn't actually macerate the yeast I suppose it might have a place in propagation...

Cheers!

Beating up the east is a bit of my concern. But I’m not sure how much more it would beat up the yeast versus using the spin bar with a star plate…

So, somewhere between blunt instrument and blender blades then :D
Any idea of the rpm of said paddle wheel?
If I had to guess the effective rpm of my stir plates is in the 300-400 range.

Also, do people use those for other than sous vide applications?
Primarily meaning, can you clean them?

Cheers!

I have a stir plate, but it doesn't regulate temperature. I was thinking of the immersion circulator because it would provide temperature control while agitating the yeast.

However, now that I'm thinking it trough, it does not create an air vortex, so I don't think it would provide oxygen.

I think the circulator RPM is about the same as my stir plate on high. It's easily cleanable, but the yeast would come in direct contact with the heating element.

I wouldn't be worried about mechanical stress, those yeasties are tough guys.
I'd be worried about overheating though. Those circulators are designed to maintain much higher temperatures and have wattages in excess of 1000W, local temperatures inside the circulator might easily exceed safe limits for yeast.

I am doing my first yeast starter this weekend. I need to increase my start count to compensate for a 1.08 OG. Would it be detrimental to the yeast if I maintained my temperature and aeration with an immersion circulator?

Are you suggesting a sous vide like Annova? (Or the Inkbird model)? These are "portable" sous vides. (I have one).
I think the fan is fairly gentle as it creates a small circulation.

I would worry about the heat as mentioned above, but more so- i see cleaning and getting it truly sanitized as a bigger concern. At least a flask and stir bar are fairly easy to clean.
My 0.02.

Are you suggesting a sous vide like Annova? (Or the Inkbird model)? These are "portable" sous vides. (I have one).
I think the fan is fairly gentle as it creates a small circulation.

I would worry about the heat as mentioned above, but more so- i see cleaning and getting it truly sanitized as a bigger concern. At least a flask and stir bar are fairly easy to clean.
My 0.02.

Oh wait... what if you put the flask into the water bath?!? Could not use a stir plate, but would regulate the temp and not scorch the yeast??

If you don't have a stir plate, look up "shaken-not-stirred" yeast starters. All you need is a gallon jug with a lid or bung. Much better and faster than countertop fermentation with intermittent swirling, where losses due to overnight blow offs are all too common.

Temp wise, room temps between 64 and 74F are fine. Yes, they grow faster at higher temps. So find a suitable place for them.

Also, do people use those for other than sous vide applications?
Although technically still sous vide, this guy used the method for a micro mash:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/so-i-brewed-a-shot-of-beer.672478/
Puts a new perspective on Brew in a Bag too.

Not sure if that method could be adapted to growing yeast better than anything else. Need a way to supply oxygen while venting fermentation gases.
Primarily meaning, can you clean them?
Yup, keeping good sanitation would be a concern. That's why a magnetically coupled stir bar solves that problem.

Latest posts

Back