Yeast starter temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Newman

Reaction score
I fudged up... I got my starter ready (1 cup water for 11.5g US-05) while the oven was on and it heated to roughly 140ish. I know this is way over the recommended pitching temp but I went ahead and quickly pitched it into 72 degree wort. Is there any chance this batch will be okay? I don’t have any more US-05 so I will either have to hope it ferments or run to my LHBS to get some more tomorrow. Just wondering if anyone else has ever done this and it worked out for them?

I fudged up... I got my starter ready (1 cup water for 11.5g US-05) while the oven was on and it heated to roughly 140ish. I know this is way over the recommended pitching temp but I went ahead and quickly pitched it into 72 degree wort. Is there any chance this batch will be okay? I don’t have any more US-05 so I will either have to hope it ferments or run to my LHBS to get some more tomorrow. Just wondering if anyone else has ever done this and it worked out for them?
don't worry about it, it will be slow to take off but you will be fine and plus some yeast that recommend rehydrating have you rehydrate in 104*F water

Get more yeast to pitch. Have a few more packs in the frig for the just in case times. 120°F probably killed most of the yeast. In bread making 140°F stops the yeast. Use @day_trippr temperature regime to rehydrate dry yeast. Sprinkle on top of the water and let rest for 15 minutes. Stir yeast in and let rest at least 15 minutes. Then pitch within one-half hour.

72°F degrees is at the top end of the temperature range for US-05. Try to pitch when the wort is in the low 60°s. Ferment at about 66° to 68° to avoid esters. Easier to let the beer warm to fermentation temperature than to cool an actively fermenting beer.

A couple of follow up questions:
1) how long should I wait to see if I need to repitch? I.e. can I order some from amazon (get by Wednesday) and avoid going to my LHBS on my lunch break today?
2) when I do repitch, do I still go with the initial yeast pitch count or would I need to put more since it will have been a few days since brew day?
3) hypothetical- what would happen if I put in another different strain of yeast? ** IM NOT DOING THIS ** just curious if anyone has experimented with putting different strains into the same beer and what the results were?

Thanks for the advice guys!

don't worry about it, it will be slow to take off but you will be fine and plus some yeast that recommend rehydrating have you rehydrate in 104*F water
actually, I fudged that up lol, I didn't see that you pitched at 140 then yes get more yeast

actually, I fudged that up lol, I didn't see that you pitched at 140 then yes get more yeast

Just to clarify... the starter was at 140 for 3-4 min tops. The wort was 72. Not that it makes much difference at this point.

A couple of follow up questions:
1) how long should I wait to see if I need to repitch? I.e. can I order some from amazon (get by Wednesday) and avoid going to my LHBS on my lunch break today?
2) when I do repitch, do I still go with the initial yeast pitch count or would I need to put more since it will have been a few days since brew day?
3) hypothetical- what would happen if I put in another different strain of yeast? ** IM NOT DOING THIS ** just curious if anyone has experimented with putting different strains into the same beer and what the results were?

Thanks for the advice guys!

1) at least 48 up to 72 hours. From what I have read 140 is on the edge of temperature that will kill the yeast. You may be OK.
2) If it is a 5 gallon batch, and you have no signs of fermentation, I would use a whole pack.I have never done it.

IMG_1520279963.811550.jpg

UPDATE: This is what it looks like in the fermenter after 17 hours! However no action in the airlock yet...

Looks like something is fermenting it. I bet enough 05 survived. If you’re lucky it’ll make it a little fruity when it’s a little a stressed.

I did something similar with a wilkos newkie brown with gervin yeast. After 3 days it was doing nothing so i reyeasted it again and it sorted its self out. Lots of sediment but sediment.

Back