Yeast Starter Stirplate Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bono09

Reaction score
Hey All,

I have a yeast starter going as we speak , it is on my stirstarter stir plate and it is getting a nice krausen on the top. I have never had a yeast starter with krasuen and this is also my first stir starter with a stir plate. Do I need to do anything before pitching this yeast into my wort? I typically just swirl my starter every time I pass it then when it is time to pitch the yeast I just take it and pour it in seeing how there is not krausen. What should be dont now that I am using a stir plate and getting a good krausen on top? Also should I chill the yeast starter at all?

The two schools of thought is...1) pitch at high krausen for least lag time when you pitch it into your wort, or 2) wait for the starter to fully ferment then chill, decant, and pitch just the yeasties you grew. I always go with option number 2, as I want the least amount of nasty starter in my final product, especially if it is a lighter beer.

Awesome thank you. I am going to have to read up on decanting yeast. Not really sure how to do it.

It's simple. After the starter is fully fermented and chilled, the yeast will compact nicely on the bottom of your flask. Slowly pour the starter beer out and stop when you start to see the yeast come with it. You want to leave just enough liquid so a nice shake will get your yeast cake into suspension. Just don't pitch it cold though or you'll give the yeast a shock. Let the decanted starter come up to room temp first, then swirl and pitch.

Bah. Throw the darned flask in the fridge for a few hours and let it settle... aka cold crash. Then pour off most of the liquid on top of the yeast cake, leaving enough so that you can swirl your yeasties around to pour them into your wort.

Awesome. Thank you everyone. Took the starter off the stir plate this morning. It's currently in the refrigerator.

Keeping some starter wort on top the yeast, besides aiding in the pour of the yeast, will offer some protection from bacteria.
Keep a sanitary cover on the yeast container in the frig. Add a rubber band if you are using aluminum foil as a cover for a better seal.

ALSO!!!!! Don't forget your magnet is in there. Most of us throw are magnet in the wort with the yeast after our first stir plate use. If you do, just leave it. It'll be fine. I feel is very risky to try and fetch it out with risks of contamination when it surely is already sanitized.

Edit: And by magnet, I mean stir bar.... lol

I've always pitched about a pint of fresh wort on top of my decanted and chilled starter. I pull them out of the fridge, let them come to room temperature and pitch the wort on top of the yeast at the start my brew day. Should be at high krausen by the time it is time to pitch.

Latest posts

Back