Yeast starter step-up for a 2L Erlenmeyer flask

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kukubau

Reaction score
I'd like to start creating my own yeast database and make yeast cultures on plates and slants, so I could save some $ and for the fun of it.

I'd like to make a yeast starter enough for 15 gallons cider starting from a pack/vial of White Labs W775 yeast. On the pack it says that for that amount I'd need three packs.

I was looking at www.brewersfriend.com/yeast-pitch-rate-and-starter-calculator and my favourite www.brewunited.com/yeast_calculator.php that calculates how many starters I need, in my case (15 gallons), I'd need 4 starters, the last 2 being 2 L starters.

As I have only a 2 L Erlenmeyer flask available, is it possible to build a 1 L starter, DECANT and then use the slurry to create a 2nd 2L starter, a 3rd 2L starter and so forth???

When starting with a small yeast colony taken from a plate, how small should be the initial starter? 100 ml, more? I've built my own stir plate.

Thank you

You can use one flask and decant. Just remember every time you open it you will introduce contamination.

Frome plate to 10mil-100mil-1000mil.

Back