Yeast starter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CPORT546

Reaction score
I had some old yeast so I made my first starter last week and then I got sick (real sick not NYE sick) and was not able brew over the weekend as planned. The half gallon starter I made is currently in the fridge. I would like to brew this weekend. What process do I take to kick start this and get it ready to go for saturday? Thanks for the help.

Just bring it up to pitching temp and pitch it. The yeast are dormant right now. If you wanted to "re-start" the starter (step it up for an even higher cell count, which probably isn't necessary but is certainly an option), you could decant the liquid and pitch a new batch of wort on top of the yeast cake, then give it another 24-48 hours to get down to business and then pitch that directly - or cold-crash it, decant it, and just pitch the slurry (at pitching temp).

Assuming your starter went according to plan, you've got that big batch of yeast just sleeping away right now, so just warm them up and get them into the game!

Latest posts

Back