Yeast starter overflowed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwagner23

Reaction score
So Uh I made a 2L yeast starter with Wyeast 3068 that got out of hand in a hurry. Been making starters for years now and this never happened to me. Going to have to make another stir plate since the cigar box I used is covered in goop.

At some point in the last 12 hours it lost it's lid (loose fitting foil). So the question is do I trust it? I sniffed it and it was heavy on the banana aroma.

Ya I had it happen on my last propagation. I step up to 5L and split between 6-7 jars. The batch that this happened to turned out fine. I have used 4 of those jars without issue. I'm starting to use some foam control for my starters for now on.

Sent from Cheese Doodle Land.

Thanks both of you. I just tried some of the starter after it sat in the fridge for a few hours. It taste kind of sour. Think I might ditch it and try again.

Yea I'm gonna have to go to a 5L flask. The 2L is just too small for 10g batches.

Again thanks for the replies!

Latest posts

Back