Yeast starter overflow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FireEmt37

Reaction score
I used a stir plate with my yeast starter for the first time. It was fine all day yesterday but I awoke to an overflow. It blew the foam stopper off and lost about 1/8 cup probably just krausen. I'm pretty sure it's still good to pitch today during brewing. Someone please confirm for me lol.

20170225_074343.jpg

That's not as bad as one of my early ones. Still good. Instead of a stopper, I use some sanitized aluminum foil.

I used a stir plate with my yeast starter for the first time. It was fine all day yesterday but I awoke to an overflow. It blew the foam stopper off and lost about 1/8 cup probably just krausen. I'm pretty sure it's still good to pitch today during brewing. Someone please confirm for me lol.
Hi. Yes, a whole bunch of the little yeasties perished, but as Carl Sagan would say, "there are billions and billions more where they came from." So unless you're pitching a really big ale, or a lager cold, you should be fine. Ed
:mug:

ETA: +1 on the sanitized foil.

Back