Yeast starter overflow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lunkerking

Reaction score
So for the first time I built a yeast starter. I overbuilt it in order to do is harvesting. I used a white liquid packet of white labs California ALE WLP0001.
I used about 200 g of dry malt extract in 2 L of water.

When I finished cooling it I pitch the yeast and then I put it on Stir starter plate. I think my mistake might have been to turn the stir starter plate up on high. I have a lot of krausen building up and now if I turn it on it bubbles over. it is been about 18 hours since I put it on the stir starter .

Is it normal to have so much Yeast activity ?I am going to brew tomorrow night should I just put it in the fridge right away?View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1469015875.098677.jpg

The yeast will be done fermenting the wort, or very close, when the krausen drops. Let your starter continue on the stir plate today. Refrigerate the flask tonight. Tomorrow morning it will be ready for decanting and harvesting the yeast to save.

Some yeasts produce a lot of krausen on a stir plate and some other yeasts very little krausen. I usually play it safe and only go up to a 1.5 liter starter in a two liter flask.

You're fine brotha. I woke up to a Mt. Vesuvius eruption from a wyeast wit starter..it was a REALLY bad mess. I decanted the next day as planned and a week and a half later the beer finished flawlessly.

If you make an appropriate starter, you propagate enough healthy yeast and can afford to lose a few soldiers

To make a 2L starter you need a 5L flask.

Agreed. After similar issues I bought a 5L flask. Crash in fridge for 48 hours, decant, and transfer to another vessel (a 2L flask for example) and make another starter if needed.

Back