Yeast starter not fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bulge1944

Reaction score
All,

I have prepared a yeast starter 3 days ago and I am not getting any activity in the starter itself. :( The yeast I used (WL0005) had been washed from a batch of IIPA (7% ABV) during late February. I followed the washing technique outlined on the site and on the wiki. The yeast has been on my refrigerator since then. I took it out of the frig on Monday to adjust to room temp. for 24 hours before the starter was made.

When I made the starter, I pitched about three tablespoons worth of yeast into a 2000ML jar. There was about 1200ML of liquid in the starter. It has sat since with me stirring the flask often. There seems to have been no activity. The water in the airlock has not even moved. There is no signs of bubbling on the top of the starter and the yeast has not settled and compacted like it normally does on the bottom of the flask once the number of cells increases.

Think it is dead and I should just pitch a batch of dry I have laying around? Brew day is tomorrow.... National Homebrew Day.... :rockin:

Thanks in advance.

Well you might of just missed the active fermentation of the starter, they go quick. Why its not settling is odd. all I can think of is that it not actually done fermenting and the gas is getting out somewhere else. or its producing very little that will not be seen in the airlock.

Don't take any chances your yeast could be dead or infected. Run down to the LHBS and pick up some good stuff. Better safe than sorry.

Update on Washed Yeast Posting:

I made a starter on a Tuesday (original posting). On Friday, I also added fresh starter wort. We brewed on Saturday. At the time of pitching, the starter was actively fermenting.

I left on the primary for 14 days. There was no sign of activity in the airlock after 7 days and I had checked the gravity for three days straight. The OG had not moved. It finished at 1.32%ABV. I tasted it to see of there was a problem with the yeast being contaminated and there were no off-flavors. Disappointed, I pitched a S-04 directly into the primary, resealed, and it took off.

I will keep you posted...

Back