Yeast starter no krausen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earwig

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am using a stir plate for the first time and my starter looks like this after about 40 hours. It never developed a large krausen like I usually experience.
Do stir plates lessen the krausen? Thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

1388251177363.jpg

Keep waiting, how old was the yeast? It is most likely done though if it doesn't get started in another day. But yes they do lessen krausen in most cases

It is California ale yeast and it was new. It smells fine. I am brewing today and plan on pitching it tonight. Thank you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

My first starter was made with wyeast french saison yeast and it had no krausen. If i were to turn the stirplate off it would start to form. My last two were giant krausen messes. One was wyeast belgian ardennes and the other was the high gravity trappist from wyeast. Huge blowover, the last one I decided to transfer it to a gallon milk jug.

Not sure the difference, perhaps its just the strains of yeast or maybe i made my wort differently the first time. Anyways i wish i had a bigger flask than my current 2L. I would like to get a four but wonder how my stirplate will hold up to all that wait, its just a little black radioshack project box.

Latest posts

Back