Yeast Starter in Steps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cookmic5

Reaction score
I'm planning my first big beer (OG 1.109). I've been researching the different ways to get the right amount of yeast and I think I'm going to go with a multi-step yeast starter. I understand that you can generally increase the yeast population by increasing the size of the starter between 5-10 time the prior size. But what happens if you keep it the same? So, for example, suppose I make a 1.5 liter starter. Then cold crash it and decant. If I add another 1.5 liters to it, will that increase the yeast population?

I'm asking because I have a 2 liter flask and would like to keep that as my vessel for the starter if possible (for simplicity's sake).

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

There will be diminishing returns as the innoculation rate increases with each step, but you should still get some significant growth on that second step I would think. I find yeastcalc the best calculator for multi step starters.

Look at the growth rate in the YeastCalc calculator as you input numbers for wort volumes. Brewers Friend has a similar calculator.

Latest posts

Back