Yeast Starter in Stainless Pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaellman

Reaction score
I have a 1000ML E-Flask but want to make a much larger starter. I have a 2gallon stainless pot I use to boil my starters.

My question is simple, what are the negative factors involved (if any) in boiling a 3000ml starter in this stainless pot, cooling it in the same stainless pot, followed by pitching my yeast (multiple smack packs) into this pot and throwing it on my stir plate with a magnetic bar to actually grow the starter (I've already confirmed my pot is not magnetic)? Ay?

Only negatives I can think of would be Krausen related. I'm assuming the lid for the pot isn't outfitted with a blow off tube or an airlock, so you'd probably be doing an open fermentation on the starter in a pot like this.

Two potential issues with that: A) Infection risks and B) Krausen blowoff.

One thing that comes to mind to me is the large surface area is inviting infection. Maybe with a starsan soaked rag on the top of it?

The pot has a fairly nicely snug lid, not air tight but I think with the positive pressure from fermentation it should keep infection out... The stirplate will keep Krausen growth to a minimum (I've got a BlackMaxx stir plate which can vortex a 5gal Carboy) not to mention my 3Liter starter in a 7.5Liter (2Gal) pot should give plenty of space for krausen growth if needed.

I would do a two step starter, in the flask, instead. You'll use less DME that way and have less to worry about.

I do boil my starters in SS pots, but the go into flasks then onto the stirplate. Kind of hard to see through the side of a SS pot. :D

Back