Yeast starter in fermentation chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aarong

Reaction score
Can I keep my yeast starter in my fermentation chamber and keep it at 72f(the liquid)? My house temp is high now 74ish and the fermenting starter should raise the temp as well.

Am I just being paranoid or can I throw it in my fermentation chamber.

I'm not sure I am following the question? When did you start your starter and when do you plan on pitching?

From my reading, high side temperature control of a starter isn't that critical unless you plan on pitching the entire starter. Higher than optimum temperatures result in increased by-products but if you're going to decant the beer and only pitch the slurry, it doesn't really matter that much. You'd have to get into the 90's to kill ale yeast. A bit lower for lager yeast.

So ale yeast is safe up to the 90s as long as I drain the beer from the yeast cake before I pitch? Will the yeast cake itself cause any off flavors if I have it at my room temperature of 78 ish or is it just the beer?

To clarify my room temp is above the recommended temp for a starter. I was wondering if I should place it in my fermentation chamber to lower the temp to the optimal 74f.

Back