Yeast Starter for Multiple Brews

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cburke501

Reaction score
I've never made a yeast starter before, having brewed only ales with pretty moderate gravity. However, this week I'm planning on brewing 2-3 batches. I'm doing pale ales with different hop additions, so the yeast can be the same across the board.

My plan is to make a starter now, and use that for all three batches to avoid buying yeast packs for each. Whats the best way to go about it? Is there a certain amount of wort I should start with to be able to do all 3 batches over the course of the week? How much should I pitch into each batch? I'm using a Wyeast smack pack with American Ale II.

I have taken a similar approach when brewing multiple batches. I took the approach of making 2L of starter / 5 gal batch. I then homogenized the starter and pitched 2L into each when it was time.

Take your yeast vial of choice and make at least a 3 liter starter.

1) For a 3 liter starter you will need to boil 3 liters of water with approx 2.5 cups of DME, Boil for aprox 10 min.

2) Pitch your Wyeast or White Labs pouch/vial. Cover loosely with foil. If you don't have a stir plate, gently swirl the container every couple of hours. After about 18 hrs you can do the following:

A) Divide the liquid and pitch to each of your wort's.
B) Throw it in the fridge for about 24 hours or until the yeast settle to the bottom and make a nice cake. Decant most of the liquid and swirl your cake into solution and pitch yeast to each of your wort. *Make sure you bring the yeast to room temperature and have your wort at at least 68F when you pitch* This is important to not shock the yeast as well as prevent the creation of fusel alcohols from the get-go.

With intermittent swirling you should get around 325 billion cells to pitch.

Thanks for the replies. I'm planning to brew the 3 batches over the course of the week, Tues, Weds and Fri. Can I make the 3L starter, and pitch 1/3 of it into the first batch, and then just re-cover it and let it keep going until the next day? And do the same thing for the final batch? Or should I add some DME in between each to keep the yeast going?

Thanks for the replies. I'm planning to brew the 3 batches over the course of the week, Tues, Weds and Fri. Can I make the 3L starter, and pitch 1/3 of it into the first batch, and then just re-cover it and let it keep going until the next day? And do the same thing for the final batch? Or should I add some DME in between each to keep the yeast going?

Its best to use the starters within 24 hours or so but you can further divide your starter to 3 vessels of 1 liter each and fridge them and decant when your ready to brew. Ive kept cold starters viable for near a month.

If it was me, I would make the starter a couple days ahead of Brew #1. Then swirl it up really good so there isn't any sediment ensuring all the yeast is in suspension. Pitch half of that into brew number 1. Then, make up another 1.5 liters of starter wort to replace the 1.5 you just pitched, and top off the starter to build the yeast. Repeat for batch two, including the top off as you want a lot of viable yeast. You'll want to then cool your yeast in the fridge overnight on Thursday so you can decant and pitch the slurry only in your Friday brew. If you have a brew with a higher target starting gravity, put that one on Friday as it will theoretically have the most yeast available for pitching. Thats how I would do it. You want to make sure that the starter always has sufficient food for the yeast to eat so they don't start consuming their reserved energy.

Thanks Kammle, that sounds like the simplest way to do it. All 3 batches will be very similar gravity, so I don't think it matters.

Latest posts

Back