Yeast Starter for Imperial IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RCorley

Reaction score
We’re brewing our first Imperial IPA Friday and I have a question about yeast starter. I have 500 ML of Safale-04 I plan to use for this brew. It’s a Dogfish Head 90 min IPA clone. I plan to make about 1500ML of starter, using an Amber DME. I’ll pitch the yeast and spin for 48 hours. Then I’ll pour off 500ML for later use and pitch the remainder into my carboy (5 gallon batch). Do you guys think that’ll be enough yeast to get a full fermentation for IIPA?

We only have one spinner plate and a 2L flask.

The Safale-04 was split in early Nov. and I believe it's been split twice before. It should be fine. It looks like it has a good amount of yeast settled in the bottom.

Is the so4 fresh dry yeast or slurry from a previous batch? If it's straight up dry yeast, don't do a starter. Just use 2 packs. Rehydrated of course.

Quick update:

That yeast was hyperactive. It foamed out of my 2L flask like crazy on just 1200mL wort. Regardless, it's pitched and fermenting beautifully.

Back