Yeast Starter Dead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crabmeat

Reaction score
I pitched my yeast into a sanitized patron liquor bottle and then airlocked it last night at about 11:30 and then woke up and looked at it around 11:00 and it is not fermenting, however there is trub in the bottom. I used white labs yeast and some cider to get it going. Do you guys think it is dead or that it has already fermented while I was asleep? There is _NO_ activity at all in the airlock right now.

After 24 hours, id be a little concerned.

I made a starter a few days back and it took 15 hours to take off and its going like crazy now. Longer than any other starter ive made.........:rockin:

liquid yeast can take a while to get going sometimes. The little yeasties have to multiply enough to start making a serious dent in the wort. I had one batch take almost 3 days to start bubbling. Give it some time. If you don't see activity after 3 days then there may be something up, but until then Relax and let nature take its course.

k, I accidently fell asleep and left this vial of yeast in the freezer and it froze but then I moved it to the fridge for a couple weeks then let it sit out for 3 hours so I'm still worried I froze the yeast to death.

I made a starter on Wednesday that did not start fermenting until Friday so I wouldn't worry. Mine had what appeared to be trub on the bottom but everyone here assured me it was yeast, and they were right!

I had made my starter Wed figuring it would ferment out by Sat so i could decant and just pitch the yeast; instead it was still actively fermenting Sat so I have to pitch the whole thing, ah well. (Of course, fermentation started fast and is now going absolutely gang busters)

Remember, starters are not about fermentation, they are about generating more yeast cells.

Crabmeat said:
k, I accidently fell asleep and left this vial of yeast in the freezer and it froze but then I moved it to the fridge for a couple weeks then let it sit out for 3 hours so I'm still worried I froze the yeast to death.
Depending on how long it was frozen, some of the cells may have been destroyed. You may have a batch of survivors there that are fewer in number but still viable.

The "trub" you see is interesting. Maybe the dead yeast falling out. Time will tell. I look more for "sudsing" on the surface that bubbling in the airlock. Good cell reprduction should yield a krausen that is unmistakable.

Back