Yeast Starter Convert

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bacchus

Reaction score
My first brew using a yeast starter. This is a picture of the fermentation bucket after ten days. I've never had a brew this aggressive! I'm a born-again "yeast starter" advocate!!

belgianprimary.jpg

10 days is all you left it in there?

And I'm laughing at using a bottling bucket. I've thought about that a time or 8

Well I racked it because it fell from an OG of 1082 to a stabilized FG of 1016. Now I'll let it sit in the secondary for about 3 or 4 weeks.

As for the "bottling bucket" comment......I'm at a loss. What did you mean?

Well I racked it because it fell from an OG of 1082 to a stabilized FG of 1016. Now I'll let it sit in the secondary for about 3 or 4 weeks.

As for the "bottling bucket" comment......I'm at a loss. What did you mean?

Um, you have the spigot which tells me its a bottling bucket. :D

Well....LOL.....ALL fermentation buckets have spigots on them. At least, good ones do.

Look, brother. If you're just going to post to be negative about the brewing techniques of others......don't bother. I'm sure my homebrewed beer is just as good as yours no matter what "bucket" I've used. I'd put that to a double-blind taste test any day of the week.

Get off your high horse and stop thinking that you're some kind of brewmeister that's here to school us "lesser brewers". Any retard can brew good beer. It ain't rocket science, mon freir.

The typical starter kit comes with two buckets. One has a spigot and is designated a bottling bucket. The other one does not have the spigot and is considered a fermenter. There's been some back and forth here and elsewhere about the potential pros and cons of fermenting in the bottling bucket. I personally doubt it's any more dangerous than the standard spigotless fermenter, but either way that bucket you're using is considered a bottling bucket by just about every homebrewer who started out with a 2-bucket starter kit. It is somewhat of a novelty to see one for use as a fermenter even though there's really nothing wrong with using it that way.

No high horse intended, BTW. I just thought you'd appreciate an explanation because you'll probably get questions and comments about using a "bottling" bucket for fermenting any time you post a picture of your fermenter.

Back