Yeast starter / BeerSmith 2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zippox

Reaction score
BeerSmith suggests 3 liquid yeast packs and a 5.79 liter starter. If I were to buy 1 yeast pack (Wyeast 3787 - Trappist High Gravity), how could I make a proper starter?

yeast starter.png

MainScreen.jpg

One way would be to make a bigger starter. Using Mr Malty, it looks like you'd need a 12 L starter to get by with just one yeast package.

Or you could just brew a smaller batch (3 gallons) of your recipe (or of a similar OG beer, like a biere de garde or dubbel) and pitch the resulting slurry in your 10 gallon batch.

That seems like an awfully huge starter! I can understand a big starter for imperial brews and high abv, or if you are doing 10-15 gallon batches. I have never used any starter larger than 2 liters for my 5-6 gallon batches.

Not saying it is giving bad info, just haven't heard of an amount that large.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I don't actually have the yeast in hand but I made the date for the end of April (of this year). So it had 88% viability.

My recipe is for 10 gallons so of course that ties into the numbers. But a 1.5 gallon starter (6 litres) like Beer Smith is recommending does seem huge to me - but I've only made one starter before.

I have a gallon jug and am wondering if I filled that 3/4ths the way with 1.040 gravity wort (light DME) if that would still be way to far below the suggested pitching rate.

I would need to get a second gallon jug to get anywhere close to the yeast starter suggestion amount.

Is this procedure good practice:

Make a yeast starter. Once krausen falls then refrigerate to separate wort from yeast. Decant and leave just the yeast. Make a new batch of wort and pour on top of the yeast after they come back to room temp?

Is that a proper step-up for a yeast starter?

Yep, that's what I do. Just for semantics (you've implied this step) you also want to make sure that wort is room temp as well.

Yeah, definitely. Glad to hear that I don't need to build a second stir plate and can reuse the same gallon jug.

Take this with a grain of salt of course. I brew a ton of Belgian style beers and always under pitch. Don't underestimate Belgian yeast strength. That seems like a massive starter to me for a 10 gallon batch of not very high gravity wort. I haven't used that particular yeast but I brewed a 1.072 batch of Belgian ale last year and did a 1L starter with White Labs WLP500. Took 1.072 down to 1.010 in about 7 days.

I also build my starters like you do. Run the first one, fridge, decant add second starter and repeat. Good luck! I'm sure it will make a great beer!

What is the starting gravity that yeastcalculator.com uses for the calculations? The numbers don't change when I change my starter gravity from 1.037 to 1.040. Why doesn't this change?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Just out of curiosity, did you enter the yeast date correct in Beersmith to have an accurate viability %? Just seems like a huge starter for a 1.062 expected gravity even on a 10 gallon batch.

Disregard, come on caffiene!!!

I just put your numbers into the BrewersFriend calculator, it is saying you will have a proper pitch with about 2.5 litres. This is assuming one pack at 70% viability. I think beersmith seriously underestimates the growth of stirred starters. This calculation was done with the newer K. Troester formula, based on data from a member of these forums. He was doing cell counts that showed a much larger growth rate than was previously believed.

Just out of curiosity, did you enter the yeast date correct in Beersmith to have an accurate viability %? Just seems like a huge starter for a 1.062 expected gravity even on a 10 gallon batch.

Disregard, come on caffiene!!!

Yes, I thought that I had entered a wrong yeast date too but in my second post I clarified I entered it correctly.

I just put your numbers into the BrewersFriend calculator, it is saying you will have a proper pitch with about 2.5 litres. This is assuming one pack at 70% viability. I think beersmith seriously underestimates the growth of stirred starters. This calculation was done with the newer K. Troester formula, based on data from a member of these forums. He was doing cell counts that showed a much larger growth rate than was previously believed.

I will go off of the lower suggested number of yeast cells. With the new numbers does that mean I should not do a step starter?

Does anyone happen to know the starter gravity that yeastcalculator.com uses? I think it locks in at 1.037 which is why using that calculator it seems I would need a step starter.

Back