yeast shaker RPM

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enkindler

Reaction score
I know that magnetic stirrers are all the rage but I like big old complex things and thus I picked up the following at an auction for a song.

It is a lab orbital shaker, with heat.

What do you think the idea mix RPM would be and do you think this is as effective as a magnetic stirrer?

I was planning on putting in a ramp/soak pid to control the heat (goes up to boiling) with the idea that I should be able to automate starter boiling and stirring.

lot92.jpg

Jealous. Only recommendation is to test the machine with water only in a flask first. It is going to depend on the radius of the orbital...my guess is 120 rpm. Interested in hearing more about this project...

I work in a lab growing bacteria, and we always incubate/shake at 120 rpm (never magnetic stir bars). I would guess yeast would also do well at that speed.

Thanks Hex and CrazedArmadillo, I'll do some water tests and start at 150, I may have a beer to keg in a week or two so it may just be worth it to do some experiments.

I think the temp rating on this unit is a bit ambitious as the heater is a little weak but the shaker and the blower works well.

I may have to adapt a new electric heating element and I may also re-insulate it with ceramic fiber board.

At that point I may just turn it into the control unit for the fermtroller project that I have been putting off.

Even if the heat doesn't work I will have capacity for 9 2L flasks for close to the same cost as a mag stirrer

Now had I not passed on the -80C under-counter freezer that went for $250 I could have been making long term cultures from dozens of unfiltered beers.

You are not going to get something like that to boil your liquid. It might be able to hold the air inside at ambient +60C or so, but probably not much more.

And you can shake at 250 rpm or more if you like. The harder the better really - you can't over do it, as long as you are not splashing the liquid out of the flask.

Back