Yeast recommendations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zach21b

Reaction score
I am still new to brewing, I have done about 30 gallons of extract. I am big into IPA'S and APA's. So far I have only used US Sale Ale 05 as that's what I become comfortable with. Anyone have any recommendations for a different yeast that will work good in the IPA\APA family? Just looking to broaden my horizon and try some new things.

Look up my "Maine Coon IPA" recipe. I use Maris Otter base and London 1028 yeast. I get all kinds of requests for more. I've tried the Nottingham yeast, and it's very tart/fruity. My go to is the Wyeast 1056.

Have fun trying new stuff!!!!!

Just my opinion, but US-05, and liquid counterpart WY 1056, are ideal for an IPA and APA. The yeasts attenuate well and are neutral, letting the flavors of the ingredients shine.

You should try WLP013 London Ale Yeast to your IPA if you want add some complexity to your beer. It doesn't flocculate like US-05. But it does clear up nicely with a little more time.

You have the right idea wanting to experiment with different yeasts. It will take your brewing up a level.

Wyeast 1056 and US-05 (and WLP 001) are the same strain, originally from Sierra Nevada, with whatever minor differences come up with a little bit of mutation and the difference between liquid and dry yeast processing. Effectively you should get the same beer with either, but US-05 is said to flocculate a bit less. If you're going for fast turnaround and maximum clarity, one of the liquid variants will probably be better, but if your focus is on how the beer tastes, US-05 is cheaper and arguably easier to use.

If you're using only dry yeast, Mangrove Jack's has a West Coast Ale yeast that some people love, and BRY-97 from Danstar/Lallemand is another good dry West Coast yeast. If you want something a bit more fruity, track down a Vermont Ale strain like the one in Heady Topper. If you want something super clean that ferments fast and flocculates like cement, San Diego Super yeast from Wyeast is a beloved workhorse for clean ales.

PacMan if you can find it, or S-04. For these styles, the cleaner the better. Makes for kind of a boring brewing experiment, trying to mask any off flavors, but an easy way to tell if something's not right with fermentation.

I really like WLP090 San Diego Super Yeast. It drops clean and fast. It's also very neutral, in my opinion. More so than with Safale-05 if you want to let the hops shine more than the yeast. My Safale-04 IPAs have been a hit giving off a fruitier flavor if you want that. I've even pitched both 04 and 05 together. Colony war!

I've got a few in the fridge. Variety is the spice of life.

Wyeast 3068 for Hefe

WLP029 for hybrids and Kolches and lagers perhaps. Not sure if the latter qualifies. First lager in the FV now.

Notty and S-05 seem to be very similar at the lower temperature ranges. I've got some Notty at the moment. Not really worth keeping these unless I'm using slurry right in a short period of time. DME for starter or fresh dry pack. Cost??

Wyeast 1214 for Belgians. only made one and saved a little yeast.

Wyeast 1028 was used in an ESB and a stout recently. Both tasty IMHO. Will definitely be using it for any English ales or stouts.

I also have done a few brews with WYeast NB1945. Stout, and two brown ales.

image.jpg.

Back