yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucasp

Reaction score
Hey all, got me a starter kit for Christmas, and well I noticed the yeast wasn't refrigerated. Is it still OK to use?should I just go pick up some more? There is a brew shop just round the corner, so its no big deal. I was just wondering..
Oh yeah the yeast was a packet of muntons, and the other was aliquid California ale yeast. Any help Is appreciated! Can't wait to get this thing started!

The dry yeast should be fine at room temp. The liquid yeast is best stored at refrigeration temp. Slightly confused why there's two different yeasts in the kit...

2 kits sorry.
So the liquid yeast is probably no good?

Sent from my Trio Stealth_10 using Home Brew mobile app

Just make a little starter for the liquid to see if it's viable. Do a quick search for "making a yeast starter".

Thanks for the info!

Sent from my Trio Stealth_10 using Home Brew mobile app

I see. Yeah, the liquid yeast just needs a starter which is standard even for refrigerated yeast. After you learn about the starter process, use yeastcalc.com or mrmalty.com to determine the proper volume for the starter.

I keep all my dry yeast in the fridge in one of the trays for veggies. LHBS also keeps dry and liquid yeast cooled.

Dry yeast can lose 4% viability per month at room temp, which is pretty good. If you need to store it longer than a few months, it will lose about 4% viability per year in the fridge.

No question, liquid yeast should be kept in the fridge, but if you make a starter like others mentioned, you can build the cell count back up.

Back