yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

medic76

Reaction score
I have read some different things about after you pitch the yeast then putting it in a dark place to let it firmament because it works better when it is in a dark place. Does it make a difference if it is in the dark or not, or can i leave it sit on my kitchen counter and let it do its thing. I plan on starting my first batch this weekend, I got a coopers kit for Christmas. and hopefully after a few runs with that I will step up and start using some better stuff.
thanks for the help .

Keep it out of direct sunlight. You can leave it on the counter if that's the only place for it, but you should at least cover it with a towel or t-shirt (assuming it's in a carboy). The sunlight will negatively react with the hops and cause skunking.

The yeast prefer a cool place (think 60-68F) to do their business.

cool thanks for the info, I will put it in the basement bathroom after I get it started. but I will have to carry it down stairs after I am done getting it started.
thanks for the help

If you have a bucket, that shouldn't be a problem. If you have a carboy, get a carboy hauler, they'll save your back and insure against dropping a full carboy.

Back