Yeast pitching temperature over 100 degrees!! True or false

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Passito

Reaction score
Hi y'all im stumped about the proper temperature to pitch wine yeast. Specifically Lavlin 71b-1122. Because the package clearly says to pitch at 104-109 degrees fahrenheit or 40-43 celcius. Yes it does. This seems very hot to me ...like enough to kill it? I would never do a beer this hot! Ok. But despite my better judgement i actually followed the manufacturer directions to my dismay. Well Nothing happened. No fermy. Everything i read online says much lower temps. Like 70-80 So what gives?? Why does lavlin say 109 degrees? I even double checked my temp by converting it at 40 Celsius.

I think you read that wrong. I went to the website. That temperature is for rehydration. The fermentation temperature range is 15c to 30c or 59f to 86f. It also says to pitch the rehydrated yeast into wort that is no more than 10 degrees C different.

I wouldn't think that the 109 degrees would kill the yeast, just not best for them. How long has it been?

Back