Yeast Pitching "Oops" Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raptoid

Reaction score
Ran my first all grain batch today. The brew itself went well. Had to split the batch up into two different carboys since it was too much wort to fit in one, and still have sufficient head space. I ended up getting two vials of California yeast since I was anticipating a higher ABV and I havent gotten my stir plate for my starter kit yet. So I figure I'd just pitch two. Got to the point where I was getting ready to pitch it, cracked the vial lid and it spewed over like a shook up Coke. Just wasn't paying attention. I was able to get about half of it in the carboy, but lost the rest.

My questions is...would it still be ok if I got another vial tomorrow and pitched it in after I got home from work? By the time I would be able to get it in there, it would be about 20 hours from the original botched pitch. I'm assuming it would be fine since the fermentation probably wont quite be in 100% full swing by then. Each carboy is roughly 1/2 full of wort. OG was 1.080.

Latest posts

Back