Yeast Pitching and Starter Questiois

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cnorberg

Reaction score
Another noob thread here:

I've used both Wyeast and White Labs since I've started brewing, both without a starters. I understand for larger batches you'll need to culture a higher cell count, but how necessary is a starter for a 5 gallon batch?

The last 6 or 7 batches I've made I've either pitched directly from the yeast pack, or made a small starter the day of or before in a 500ml flask. I've never had a fermentation go awry or had a final gravity that fell short of my estimation.

The last batch I brewed went from 1.040 OG to 1.013 FG using WL 041 and a 400ML starter made 5-6 hours before pitching.

Should I consider making larger volume starters? What difference is it going to make?

check out White Labs or Wyeast websites for starter info, but usually for any batch that i do with a starting gravity over 1.060 i make a 2 pint starter the day before. under 1.060, i just use a wyeast smack pack.

Back