Yeast Package Didn't Swell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 79142

Reaction score
I was planning on brewing tonight (Friday), but the Wyeast pack that I slapped last night hasn't swelled much (if at all). I don't have the equipment to make a starter and unfortunately tonight is the only chance I'll have this weekend to brew.

Do I need to postpone my brewing until next week? Or can I go ahead an pitch? Would the Yeast Fuel that I bought with the kit make a difference?

Thanks all!

Did it swell at all?

Did you shake the crap out of it?

What temperature did you keep it at and what is the date on the package?

Are you sure you busted the the liquid pouch inside?

If you have any DME or LME on hand I would try my best to make up a starter of some sort and see what happens!

I had the same issue the other night. My first brew the pack looked like it was going to explode. This one, I slapped Wednesday morning got excited on the way home and low and behold, it looked like it hadn't done anything. I put my hand on it and there was definitely air in it. I would say it was about half an inch inflated, but nowhere what I was expecting. I read the back and it said "package does not have to be fully inflated to use". I said screw it as I was pumped to do some brewing and like you had a limited window. I brewed, pitch and damnit if it wasn't kicking in the wort in about 3 hours! Still going. I would not sweat it- go with it and if no action in 3 days, get another yeast pack and pitch

Same thing happened to mine as boomtown. Even after pitching it, it didn't start fermentation for near 72 hours. Now, it is chomping away at a good steady pace.

In my noob opinion, would pitch the yeast and let it do it's thing. If after 72 hours or so and nothing, then call your supply store and let them know about the issue. I called mine prematurely and they said give it x amount of time and if nothing, come in and we'll take care of you. The yeast I used (Wyeast 1764) sells pretty well and was fresh and sure enoughtthe night after talking to the LHBS, it was fermenting. Really the worst thing... Pitch a new batch of yeast if this one doesn't work out. To me, it isn't that bad.

The yeast was well within the expiration date. I am certain I broke the inner package and I've been shaking it quite a bit for the past 18 hours. Once I received the package from AHS, I stored it in the refrigerator. On Thursday, I took it out of the refrigerator, smacked the package, and kept it at room temp (71).

Since I can't make it to the LHBS to pick up DME or LME, should I go ahead and brew tonight as planned and then make a starter from the resulting wort? I could then pitch sometime on Saturday.

I went ahead and pitched the yeast that didn't swell, and I got absolutely no fermentation by the 72 hour mark. I checked the gravity twice, (at 48 and 72 hours) but it hadn't budged. I even tried to rouse the yeast, but nothing seemed to work.

Today, I went to the LHBS and picked up another yeast package. I smashed it in the car and within two hours, the package had swelled to capacity. I then waited a few hours and then re-pitched the yeast. (Happily), I have already seen signs of fermentation (under one hour), so I think (hope) I'm back in business.

A couple of questions --

1) Will the extra yeast that I pitched cause any off flavors or other adverse effects?

2) Will the resulting beer be affected in any way because of the 72+ hour lag time in fermentation?

In any case, Lesson Learned -- I will do starters from here on out.

1) should be fine, as it seems the original yeast was dead
2) i know several brewers who wait days sometimes to pitch (due to laziness), and since they have good sanitation and keep the wort sealed, they have no problems. until you get a lot of experience, don't try this at home :D

There shouldn't be any off flavors by adding more yeast, and as long as your sanitation was good, leaving it for a few days shouldn't hurt anything.

Glad you learned the starter lesson. ; ) MrMalty.com has a great yeast pitching rate calculator that makes starter size really easy.

Back