Yeast pack but not ready to brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reedequine

Reaction score
I made a new batch on Monday, and as of Wednesday I was still waiting for signs of fermentation. Being worried that my yeast might be bad I popped a pack of Northwest yeast that I was saving for my next brew. Of course, the air lock was going to town this morning. My question- can I save this yeast and how would the best way be to do it?:mug:

What do you mean "popped a pack"? You mean you smacked a smack pack? If that is what you mean, I would make a starter (boil 7oz of DME in 1 liter of water for 15 mins, then cool it, put it in a sanitized 1-gallon water jug, then add the yeast). Drill a hole in the cap of the water jug and put a stopper and airlock on it. Let the yeast ferment the starter wort, then put it in the fridge and let the yeast settle out. Then, after a few days in the fridge, you should see a separation of solids and liquids. Decant off most of the liquid and discard it. Then swirl around the rest of it (that's yeast, yummy healthy yeast!) and divide it equally into a few sanitized jars. Put these jars in the fridge and use one next time you brew...and save the others for other brews.

Back