Yeast Nutrients: White Labs vs. Wyeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've searched, but I can't find a good (or any) answer.

What is the difference between White Labs Yeast Nutrient and Wyeast Yeast Nutrient? Why does the White Labs nutrient cost 3X more than Wyeast? Is it 3X better?

Not looking for this to turn into a debate on whether yeast nutrients are necessary/beneficial. We already know that you've brewed 8-gajillion batches without ever using nutrient, and they've all turned out fine.

Wyeast describes their nutrient as: "Wyeast Beer Nutrient Blend is a custom blend of vitamins, minerals, and micronutrients required for yeast cells to carry out an orderly and complete fermentation from start to finish."

Other than that, they are pretty silent on specifically what's in it. Reportedly, they have admitted to Zinc, which is good, because Zinc is arguably the only mineral yeast need that isn't available in significant enough amounts in an all malt wort.

I don't know much about White Labs nutrients, but I know they have at least 2:
- WLN1000, which might be somewhat comparable to the Wyeast nutrient
- Servomyces, which is dead yeast cells

I don't know much about White Labs nutrients, but I know they have at least 2:
- WLN1000, which might be somewhat comparable to the Wyeast nutrient
- Servomyces, which is dead yeast cells
I'm referring to WLN1000. As far as I can tell, it should be pretty close to the same as the Wyeast nutrient. I just can't figure out why it would be 3X the price.

Back