Yeast Nutrient Directly to Starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsmit209

Reaction score
I made my very first yeast starter from a White Labs 002 yeast vial. I boiled the DME, cooled, and pitched the yeast. The starter was 1.5L, and I let it grow for 36 hours. On brew day, I cold crashed and decanted most of the liquid off. I let it rise back to room temp while I brewed.

During the brew, I found some yeast nutrient that I had forgotten about. Without really thinking about it, I sprinkled some into the starter (about 1/4 tsp). Once I thought about it, I realized I really should have boiled it for sanitation (or just added it to the boil.) Could this really screw up my beer, or am I just being paranoid?

I never really looked into it, but I'd think it would be more important that the yeast nutrient is boiled to get the minerals and nitrogen from the dead yeast cells dissolved in solution.

The little crystals seemed to dissolve in the solution. I'm more concerned with either a sanitation issue b/c they weren't boiled, or adding too much by accident. I hear that too high concentration of nutrient can be toxic.

Good thing to look this morning and see activity in the airlock.

Back