Yeast not being yeast like

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeorgeH2013

Reaction score
I brewed this up on Sunday:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=496504

I did 10 gallons, so I just doubled everything, including the starter size. Typically I do 2L starter for every 5 gallons or wort, so this was a little short on my normal procedure.

I made a 2L starter in advance with 200 grams of DME. A day later, I made another 2L starter, but with only 100 grams of DME. Not sure why I made 2L instead of a 1L starter on day 2, but it made sense to me at the time. The initial 2L starter did its normal thing, bubbling up and out of the flask. The 2nd 2L starter I just dumped in with the 1st 2L starter, thinking it would just use the newly formed yeast to do it's thing. So no starter pack of yeast for starter #2. You with me so far? Next day, the now combined starters (in a 5L flask) showed no real life at all. Just sorta sitting there. I can't use my stir plate on the 5L flask (can't get the stir bar to catch), so I just shake it around throughout the day. Now, it's brew day. I make the beer, everything is fine, and pitch the 4L of starter I have evenly into 2 6gal carboys. This all seemed very normal and fine. Here I am, 5 days later, and next to no visible fermentation. Starting to get concerned.

I ordered some dry yeast Safale -04 a couple days ago, to pitch on top, in case this stayed like this. Of course, it got delayed by USPS, and didn't show up yesterday, as shipment was delayed for whatever reason.

Questions:

How concerned should I be this batch is ruined? I spent a pretty penny on this batch. I would be sad to have it suck.

If dry yeast shows up today, should I just go ahead and pitch out of the packet right into the carboys, and keep my fingers crossed?

This is my first real problem I've had in 15 or so batches. I was just getting confident in my process, so I guess the brewing gods are humbling me.

Thanks in advance.

-George

I've been hesitant to open the tops and check the gravity, for fear of letting oxygen in.

You guys think I should do that first? I had planned on checking it when the dry yeast showed up and I pitched that.

I've never had it work like this. I just looks like a container full of sugary brown liquid. I mean zero action. I'll pull a sample tonight. Yeast supposedly out for delivery today. I won't do anything until I take a sample. I just usually have high krausen with in 24-36 hours. This just seems odd.

Thanks for the replies, fellas.

So, Friday I took a gravity sample, and it was down to 1.020. Clearly working. I took a drink of the sample afterwards, and it tasted pretty terrible. Like watered down Evan Williams whiskey. Whatever, not much I can do. So, I poured the maple syrup into each carboy, like I was supposed to do at high krausen, but there was no high krausen (that I saw). Dry yeast showed up, and I haven't done anything with it. I'll pull another sample tonight, and see where I'm at. Hopefully, this thing will straighten out as we move along.

Thanks again for the help, everyone.

Latest posts

Back