Yeast Mixing Experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nyxator

Reaction score
My friend and I came up with a strange recipe idea that came from a beer name we thought up.

Hefe de Leffe.

The recipe is going to include 50/50 German Pilsner malt and wheat malt, like a hefe, but then add a small amount of dark Belgian Candi Syrup and ferment with both Belgian abbey yeast and hefe yeast.

I've never mixed yeasts before, but I'm worried that the hefe yeast will completely dominate the flavor profile of this beer.

I did a quick thread search on yeast mixing, but I didn't come up with anything. Does anyone have some advice on how best to do this, or whether or not one type of yeast will dominate another?

You could split the batch up and ferment with both yeasts sperate then re-mix post ferment..

I ended up pitching both 1214 Belgian Ale and 3638 Bavarian Wheat yeasts without a starter for either. I had a quick fermentation, and it has taste characteristics of both yeasts.

The experiment worked out well.

I too thought of doing this but then realized that I could just brew two different types of beer and mix when bottling and have three beers ready.

Nicely done - glad it worked out.

- WW

Back