yeast life question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EzMak24

Reaction score
Alot of u guys keep the beer in the fermented for weeks and months my question was is there a limit u can keep it in there and still prime the beer in bottles or does the yeast die or go dormant?

It can go dormant, but I have seen posts where a beer has sat in primary for a year and was still able to carb bottles. Resilient little bastards

Not really. Depends on the style of beer (mostly OG, desired FG) and yeast strain.

Just some yeast info...

Yeast can do many things to assure their continued existence. One of the things yeast do is they can enter a quiescent stage, where they do not divide, and minimally metabolize. They enter this stage when the conditions are not optimal around them and they can stay this way until conditions get better (priming sugar added). They can survive months even sometimes years if kept properly hydrated.

as before, simply put- "Resislient little suckers".

Keep in mind, it doesn't take much yeast to bottle condition a beer. Most of the time, we have way more than is necessary for it. I've heard that Sierra Nevada literally uses something like a dozen grains of yeast in each bottle to carbonate.

I have a similar question, I was wondering if it is a good idea, or not a good idea to siphon a small amont of yeast from the cake into the bottling bucket just to be sure to get enough for carbonation, or is the yeast in the cake mostly dead yeast? I know some will be siphoned accidently but am asking if a bit more is good or bad.

You don't need any more than there already is, remember it takes about 2-3 weeks to carb a bottle with what is already there, if there is too much yeast or sugar the bottle will explode.

You don't need any more than there already is, remember it takes about 2-3 weeks to carb a bottle with what is already there, if there is too much yeast or sugar the bottle will explode.
Too much yeast won't affect the carbonation, sugar is the factor for bottle bombs.

Too much yeast will uglify your bottles and leave you with a lot of sediment.

Back