Yeast issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HartBlood

Reaction score
I was pitching my yeast and didn't get it all into my carboy. Might start using a funnel now. I do have some fermentation. My question is should I pitch more yeast or just leave it?

The strain of yeast is London ale (wyeast 1968).

The outcome depends on your OG & how much yeast missed the opening. If it's a low gravity beer and you only spilled a little, I wouldn't worry about it. But anything over about 1.060 and/or a lot of yeast missed means the yeast will likely be stressed, and that can produce a lot of ester-y flavors. If that's what you're looking for, again no worries. But if you want a nice "clean" tasting beer, you may be a bit disappointed. Most yeast-derived flavors are produced in the first 12-18 hours or so, however, so it's probably not worth pitching more yeast. The ones that made it in have multiplied and will get the job done.

Good news is, you'll still have beer. And it's not likely to be catastrophic... Maybe just a tad off.

Back