Yeast is stuck. No activity. How long do I have to re-pitch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agurkas

Reaction score
I had Wyeast 1214 I thought I did ok job growing out all the way to 64oz starter.
Pitched it into my tripel wort (4.5G at OG of 1.100) added some nutrients and aerated it. Zero activity after 72 hours and counting in 75 degrees.

How much time do I have to re-pitch the yeast? My local stores don't have 1214, so I need to order online.

I am worried my wort will go bad.

Sounds like your starter is too small for such a high gravity beer. You should have stepped up to a gallon for a 1.100 O.G.

Is it in a carboy or bucket? Can you bring the temp down to 72 or 70?

Do you see any visual action?

I like to pitch on yeast cakes for big beers, so I brew a small beer first, keg, then put the big beer on the yeast cake. My I did a big IPA with a OG of 1.070 and pitched on a yeast cake. I had high kreuzen inside 8 hours.

Zero visual action. Nothing. Nada.
This was one expensive grain bill. Really don't want to lose $50 in beer.

It is in a bucket.

More yeast. Get something else that your local store has.

Or refrigerate your wort until you get the "right" yeast. 3 days at room temp is playing with fire.

I agree! Best get something else ASAP. With a bucket you have a huge headspace.

I've put it in the basement that is at 56 degrees. Will try to run and get some yeast tomorrow. Local shop did mention they had WLP500. One question remains - to do starter and risk spoilage or just pitch.

I've put it in the basement that is at 56 degrees. Will try to run and get some yeast tomorrow. Local shop did mention they had WLP500. One question remains - to do starter and risk spoilage or just pitch.

Buy 3 of them and pitch immediately. At this point you do not have time to build up cell count.

Back