Yeast in too early!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdgarcia3

Reaction score
Never brew beer while drinking beer, I am just starting out and made a mistake while brewing. I inadverdently added some liquid yeast during the last 2 minutes of the boil along with the hops. Will this ruin the batch or the taste of the beer. I also added more yeast at the correct time after cooling and the airlock is bubbling as it should. Just wondering if I should start over or give this batch a chance.

I don't think it will be a problem, you just killed the yeast that you added early. About the only problem I could see is under pitching. If you are already fermenting though you should be ok.

Actually the yeast you added to the boil will die and act as yeast nutrients for the rest of the yeast you pitched.

Like thirdedition said, I suspect you underpitched this batch and if it isn't already fermenting, then just pitch more.

Underpitching means that you didn't pitch enough yeast for the job ahead. From your post, it sounds like you may have pitched half of your liquid yeast into boiling wort, killing those poor guys immediately. Then, you may have poured the rest of the contents of your vial into the wort after cooling. This is underpitching, not adding enough viable yeast.
Don't worry, your beer can and most likely will turn out fine. Just make sure that you are adding the correct amount of yeast next time.

Use this calculator: http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

Sorry have to Laugh here
I know the isue about drinking to mutch beer while making beer :)

Im sure it will finnish up as the beer you planed

Never brew beer while drinking beer -- SAY WHAT!!! :drunk:

Blasphemy!!!!!

I suggest you take it back before you anger the beer gods.

But as for your question, like the other good folks have said, your beer should be fine. :mug:

Yeast in the boil = yeast nutrient in the fermenter

So does that mean I should throw one of my extra washed yeasts in my next boil? Not that I buy yeast nutrients now but it extra yeast nutrients doesnt sound like a bad thing.

I know you're a beginner, but the prospect of me being soooo wasted that I pour yeast into the boil is damn hilarious. At that point someone better step in an put my a$$ to bed before I burn the garage down.

Seriously though, open flame, semi-confined areas with probable CO gas production, multiple gallons of boiling, sugary, napalm-like liquid, 70+ lb containers made of highly fragile and shatter-able glass make for a pretty dangerous situation when you're sober. I don't crack one open until I pitch the yeast.

As many have stated, chances are you killed the poor yeasties when you pitches them too hot. VERY worst case is some of them *may* have survived and started working under very stressful conditions (therefore producing off flavors) It happened with a batch of haus ale I made a while back. Its still a little estery, but the band aid and banana flavors are slowly fading.
-Me

No way in heck did they survive boiling wort. Those yeasties are dead, dead, dead, dead, dead. That's no problem...you'll have plenty more dead yeast in your beer by the time it's done fermenting, (yes, yeast does die).

Don't bother pouring in washed yeast to the boil to act as "nutrients". Yes, the dead yeast will give some nutrient value to the wort, but not nearly as well as actual yeast nutrient, and really all your yeast really want is sugar and oxygen, which you are already giving it. I never bother with nutrient in my wort, only in my starters.

Yeast in the boil = yeast nutrient in the fermenter

If this is the case, would you advise using old or crappy yeast pitched during a boil for nutrients as a good practise? Or is it ill advised due to the risk of the yeast surviving and causing off flavors and what-not? How long would you boil for to ensure the yeast is dead?

Sorry for the newbish questions and to hijack the thread, but I have a bunch of Mr. Beer yeast packets that I would love to actually have a use for and this seems like a great way to utilize them.

Thanks! :mug:

EDIT: Seems shortyjacobs answered my question.

Back