Yeast/hops storage question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pyth

Reaction score
So as I get more and more into brewing I find myself collecting odds and ends. 3-4oz of hops, a few different packs of dry yeast, a kg of DME, that sort of stuff.

So what is the proper way to store most off this? I have been keeping the hops in the freezer, yeast packs in the fridge and my DME just in the cupboard.

Should it all go in the freezer? How long does this stuff tend to keep?

Hops are best kept in O2 bags in the freezer. Hops lose oils over time. O2 and warm areas speed that process up. Keeping them in a bag that doesn't allow O2 in and keeping them in the freezer will slow down the loss of the oils and a-acids.

Yeats you can keep in your fridge, preferably in the back because it is the coldest. Try to keep them away from open food containers too. That isn't a huge deal since the yeast packet isn't open.

DME can be stored in a dark area. Make sure you seal the bag well. Using one of those food saver things is good.

Sounds like your doing just fine,
I keep my hops in the fridge and never had any problems,
but some do keep them in the freezer as well.

I bought one of the vacuum sealer units and use that for repacking all of my hops. Then they go into the freezer. I've had a few not seal properly, so I've started double-sealing both ends and haven't had one leak since.

As h22lude said, DME would probably store well vacuum sealed as well.

Once I amass enough of these odds and ends, I usually do a beer just to use them up. Kind of a casserole, just to use up leftovers. I'm usually surprised at how good they turn out!

I have about 20# of hops that I have bought on sales or picked and processed myself locally. I also have maybe 250# of grains from group buys. For the hops, I make sure that the original vacuum seal is tight or I reseal them with my own vacuum sealer. I store them in the freezer.

For the grains, I take part of the grains I don't expect to use for a while, and either store them in Mylar with oxygen absorbers, or weigh into smaller amounts (1# for specialty grains like crystal xx, 2-3# for base grains) and vacuum seal them, after which I pit them in a plastic bin with good handles. (I do this mostly because I've had issues with little critters, aka mice.). For grains I expect to use within the next couple up within the next couple of months, I have them stored in food grade buckets with gamma seal lids (which are awesome). This allows easy off/on when I am ready to use them.

How bout resealing and folding tightly a 50#bag of grains into a large container, storing around 60 deg? My basement is pretty dry,and i have a dehumidfier, i noticed the temp increases when using it though.

I buy my hops by the pound so I seal them with a pump and seal and store in the freezer. I keep my grains in 5 gal buckets and store in the basement were it is cool. 2 buckets will hold most of a 55 lb bag.

Back