Yeast help...WYeast 1335 vs. s-04/WLP007

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mclamb6

Reaction score
Going to brew an American IPA

6 lbs each of American and English pale
.5 lbs Victory

Hops:

Apollo for bittering
1:1:.5 of simcoe, chinook, and Apollo @ 10 minutes, FO, and dry hop

I should be around 1.067 OG, hoping to attenuate to ~6.5% ABV.

Trying to decide on a yeast...I want to be cost effective, but will spend the extra for liquid if the flavor profile on 1335 is better.

One kicker, is that I'm doing a double brew day with a Northern English Brown. So I'm looking at either two packs s-04 or a big starter of liquid yeast that I would divide between the two.

Recs?

1335 is a clean, flocculant yeast, which really emphisizes the malt over the hops, compared to us-05. It is very reliable, and clean up to 69 or so. What esters it has is general maltiness, and maybe the smallest hint of fruit.

wlp007 is the dry whitbread strain, it has slightly more esters than 1335, but is more neutral on the malt hop balance. It finishes a tad drier, and can be slightly tart. It doesnt floc out as easily. I havent used s-04 but i hear it is the same.

I think the 1335 would be a little bit better for the brown, and the whitbread a little bit better for the ipa. Id guess id choose which is more important to you. Both will likely be fine.

I suppose a packet of dry for the IPA and a smack pack of 1355 would be overall cheaper than a 1 lb of DME plus the liquid yeast....

eh. Id always do a starter with liquid yeast unless its a super fresh shipment. Its not like there is a big difference between the 2.

I'm on a pretty strict brewing monthly brewing budget, so the difference in price means the difference between 1 and 2 batches. The brown is low enough in starting gravity that I'm not concerned with underpitching if I use a reasonably fresh smack pack.

Now, if the yeast is old...I'd have to re-think.

NOT S04, unless you can ferment it under 62 degrees, and even then.................well, no. It has this 'tart' flavor that I just can't get past that becomes too noticeable in some beers. If you can keep it under 62 degrees, it might be ok I guess. There are some nice things about it- it drops clear very well leaving a very bright beer behind.

I love Wyeast 1335 in American IPAs, though. I used in first in a Surly Furious clone, and loved it so much that I still will use it in American style beers. It's really "clean" for a British yeast strain.

i vote 007... i've been using it almost exclusively lately. (browns, pales, ipas). flocs like a rock and attenuates well. i start around 64-65, ramp it up to 68-70 to finish it out.

1335 is a clean, flocculant yeast, which really emphisizes the malt over the hops, compared to us-05. It is very reliable, and clean up to 69 or so. What esters it has is general maltiness, and maybe the smallest hint of fruit.

wlp007 is the dry whitbread strain, it has slightly more esters than 1335, but is more neutral on the malt hop balance. It finishes a tad drier, and can be slightly tart. It doesnt floc out as easily. I havent used s-04 but i hear it is the same.

I think the 1335 would be a little bit better for the brown, and the whitbread a little bit better for the ipa. Id guess id choose which is more important to you. Both will likely be fine.

Dude, WLP007 drops out like nothing other than 002. You'll get crystal clear beers with WLP007. I'd make a big starter of WLP007 and use it for both.

NOT S04, unless you can ferment it under 62 degrees, and even then.................well, no. It has this 'tart' flavor that I just can't get past that becomes too noticeable in some beers. If you can keep it under 62 degrees, it might be ok I guess. There are some nice things about it- it drops clear very well leaving a very bright beer behind.

I love Wyeast 1335 in American IPAs, though. I used in first in a Surly Furious clone, and loved it so much that I still will use it in American style beers. It's really "clean" for a British yeast strain.

+1 to all of this. 007 is my go to ipa yeast, but 1335 is a close second. Love the way it flocculates out. Both yes, S-04 is my least favorite yeasts out there. Hate it period.

I'm another who loves 007. Very versatile yeast really. Love it in hoppy beers, and it drops out quick. Ferment in the mid 60s and it stays pretty clean, just a bit fruitier than most American yeast. I guess s04 is supposed to be similar, but I've found it to be less forgiving if you don't keep it in the low 60s. Otherwise it has a tart flavor I'm not fond of

Back