yeast harvest from my taps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PitchnGrin

Reaction score
So I relocated and tossed all my stored yeast. I need to restock and all I have is three kegged beers that are even better than I remembered after eight months. I am considering stepping up some starters with shots from my taps. I don't want to wait for the kegs to float. Anybody done it? I can't get any hits on a search but it should work. Especially since I just set up the kegs and the move certainly shook them up.

Alternative is commercial bottle dregs. But I prefer to restore my strains. I split my starters up so the generations are all first and second.

Note I am a sci-guy so my micro skills are decent.

This sounds like a good idea but I've never heard of it. I wonder if you used a gelatin to clarify if you could use the first pour to harvest the yeast that fell

I would think so. Give them a swirl, wait a few hours and use the first pour as suggested above. That would be your best bet if you don't want to wait for one to kick.

Thanks for the encouragement. I couldn't find any mention, but it shouldn't be all that different than bottle dregs. Gelatin is a good suggestion but I'll try without first.

Sent from my XT907 using Home Brew mobile app

Latest posts

Back